We’ve got a lot going on in the next couple of weeks, so this will be a little longer than our usual Friday reminder email…
TOMORROW’S MEET: AT SILVER CREEK
- Swimmers need to check in with the coaches by 7:20 am. If your child is ill in the morning, please call or text Coach Scott: 408-613-5126.
- Plan to park at Silver Oak Elementary School (located just a little past the pool at 5000 Farnsworth Drive). See the Silver Creek web page for a map. Meet Entries and Volunteer Assignments are also posted on the website.
- Remember, there is not much space at Silver Creek, so please plan to share EZ-Ups and get cozy with your penguin neighbors!
- We will be swimming 8 lanes, which means the meet goes by a lot faster. Be sure your swimmers are paying attention to the announcements and get to Clerk of the Course on time. And remember to always check OUT with the coaches if you leave the meet early!
- Check-in time is 6:00 pm on Saturday (7/8); please do not start setting up tents any earlier.
- If you haven’t already turned in your forms and payment, you can do so when you check in. Be sure we have a phone number so we can reach you in case of emergency.
- Cardboard boats should be staged on the basketball courts. Parents, you are welcome to stay and watch the Penguin Regatta. We do ask that you please take home any soggy boat remains.
- 6 & under swimmers need to be picked up no later than 10:00 pm.
- For more information about what to bring, etc., check the Overnighter page.
- Please arrive before 8:00 am on Sunday morning to help your swimmers pack and also clean up the pool and lawn areas.
- We suggest you bring your checkbook when you check in at the Overnighter, so you can just write one check for everything!
- Champs Meal Order forms are due no later than Sunday morning (7/9) at 8:00 am. No late orders will be accepted.
- Banquet Meal Order forms are due on Monday, July 17. Note: Swimmers eat for free at the Banquet, but you still need to fill out a form so we know how many meals to prepare. The cost for additional meals is $10 for adults and $7 for kids.
- If you’d like to contribute to gifts for the coaches, please see Judy Seps at the meet or at the Overnighter.
COMING UP NEXT WEEK
- The Penguin Pool Party has been rescheduled to next Wednesday, July 12, from 3:00 to 5:00 pm. Swimmers of all ages are welcome! We’ll be serving root beer floats and tie-dying shirts. The cost is $2 per swimmer. Non-Association members will also need to pay the guest entry fee at the gate ($2 for adults, $1 for kids). Please bring a white or light-colored shirt to tie-dye. We ask that parents of swimmers ages 10 and under please stay to help out.
- The Swim-a-Thon team fundraiser will be on Thursday, July 13, during normal practice times. Swimmers will get to swim as many laps as they can to try and earn money for LPAC. Pledge forms are posted on the Swim-a-Thon page of the website.
- Next Saturday (7/15) will be our last dual meet of the season, at home against Oaktree. The high schoolers will have their Beach Trip that afternoon/evening. Please note that we do need parent drivers, as teenagers are not allowed to drive themselves to this event. The cost is $10 per swimmer; there is no charge for parents.
Dear Penguins and Parents:
The raft trip was quick and cold this year, but still lots of fun! Hope you all enjoy the day off tomorrow and have a happy and safe Fourth of July. We are in the homestretch now, with only three weeks left in the swim team season. Warning: it’s going to go by very fast!
AN IMPORTANT NOTE TO SWIMMERS AND PARENTS
After today, there are only 13 total practices left in the swim team season. Our team has a legitimate chance to move up at Champs this year, but to do that, we need EVERY swimmer to continue improving. And the best way to improve is to come to practice — not just 2 or 3 times a week, but every day! We know that everyone has lots of activities planned over the summer, but if we could get every swimmer to focus on LPAC for the next two and a half weeks, it would make a huge difference. Parents, please help by bringing your kids (and waking up those teenagers!) every day. We can do this!
SATURDAY’S MEET: AT SILVER CREEK
This Saturday’s meet will be at Silver Creek Valley Country Club (SCVCC). Swimmer check-in time will be 7:20 am. The families we know who will be missing all or part of the meet are: Adam, Burke, Espinoza, Fuss, Musoll-Buendia, Mamola, Pickett, and Quezada. Please notify both the coaches and volunteer coordinators ASAP if your name should be added to this list.
The Silver Creek pool has 8 lanes, which means we need extra timers and recorders…but also means the meet goes by fairly quickly! See the Silver Creek page of the website for map and additional information.
OVERNIGHTER ON SATURDAY
This Saturday evening (7/8) is the Overnighter and the Penguin Regatta Cardboard Boat Races. Drop-off starts at 6:00 pm; please do NOT start setting up tents before then, even if you are members at the pool. Please note that swimmers of all ages are welcome to attend, but only swimmers 7 and older spend the night. Parents can pick up the 6 & unders at 10:00 pm (or earlier if they get tired).
Kids who are camping out should bring a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, flashlight, warm sweatshirt, change of clothes, swim suit, towel, pajamas, toothbrush, toothpaste, snacks, and games. The high school group sleeps outside on lawn chairs.
If you build a cardboard boat, remember you can only use cardboard, duct tape or packing tape, glue, and paint. Please be prepared to take the soggy wreckage home with you; there is not enough room in the dumpster for all the shipwrecks! Bring your boats to the staging area on the basketball courts at 6:00 pm. Parents and siblings are welcome to stay and watch the boat races, which usually get started around 6:15 pm.
The cost for the Overnighter is $15 per swimmer. Please complete the form and turn in with payment to the Activities folder (or you can pay when you check in Saturday evening). Forms and additional information can be found on the Overnighter page of the website.
Campers must be picked up by 8:00 am on Sunday morning (7/9); please come before then to help your kids pack up their tents and belongings. We do still need a few more parents to sign up online and help with Sunday morning cleanup (starting at 7:00 am). The Board members and spouses who stay up all night will be tired and ready to go home by then, so your help is greatly appreciated!
We’re so proud of all our penguins who swam in the 25s to Save Lives Relay-a-Thon. So far our team has raised over $3,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society. That’s some serious Penguin Power! You can still turn in a check (made out to LPAC) or donate online: https://www.crowdrise.com/25s-to-save-lives. Thank you very much for supporting this important cause!
Happy Fun Friday! Just a few quick reminders:
- If you are going on the Raft Trip tomorrow, be sure to be at the Sunshine Rafting parking lot no later than 9:00 am. Don’t forget to bring a lunch and pack it in a waterproof container or Ziploc bags. Remember, everything you take on the raft can and will get wet! See the Raft Trip web page for map and more information. Bring a signed waiver if you haven’t already turned that in.
- There are a few spots still available for the Raft Trip if you’d like to go but haven’t signed up already. If you’re interested, please call or text Chad Seps ASAP: 408-887-3267.
- There will be morning practices at the usual times on Monday, July 3. There are no practices on Tuesday, July 4.
- Please send email to the coaches and volunteer coordinators if your child will be missing any part of next Saturday’s meet (July 8 at Silver Creek).
Have a great weekend!
Dear Penguins and Parents:
Woo hoo! With a 118.1 to 112.8 victory over Almaden, our mighty penguins are now 3-0! Meet results have been posted to the Almaden page of the website.
25s TO SAVE LIVES
Thank you to everyone who participated in Friday’s 25s to Save Lives fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. It was a lot of fun, and it felt amazing to see all that penguin power going for such a good cause. You can still turn in donations to the “CANCER” folder or donate online at crowdrise.com/25s-to-save-lives. Thank you for your support!
WILL YOU BE AT THE SILVER CREEK MEET?
There is no meet this weekend due to the 4th of July holiday, but the coaches and volunteer coordinators still need to know if you will be at the Silver Creek meet on July 8. So far the only families we know will be missing some or all of the meet are: Espinoza, Musoll-Buendia, and Quezada.
CHAMPS PROGRAM ADS DUE THIS WEEK
Show your penguin pride and place an ad in the VCSL Champs Program! 100% of the proceeds go directly to LPAC, so this is a great way to help support the team while giving a shout-out to your favorite penguins or promoting your business. The cost is $15 for a business card-size ad, $30 for half-page, and $50 for full-page. Use the Champs Ad Order Form to design your own ad, or just email photos and text to Kris Fuss and she can design one for you. Please submit no later than Saturday, July 1.
FUN AGE GROUP EVENTS COMING UP!
There are a couple of fun events coming up. This Friday (June 30), all swimmers in the 9-11 practice group (plus parents and siblings) are invited to go see the 11:15 am showing of “Despicable Me 3” at Tennant Station in Morgan Hill. The following week, on Monday, July 3, all swimmers in the 8 & under and 9-11 groups are invited to Golfland from 11 am – 1 pm. See the Age Group Events web page for more details. Thank you to Judy Seps and Ashley Katz for coordinating!
NO PRACTICE ON JULY 4
Please note that there will be no practices next Tuesday, July 4. Happy Independence Day! However, there will be practices at the usual times the rest of the week. We know people will be a little tired after the Raft Trip and/or fireworks, but please try to come to every practice if you can. We want to keep our undefeated streak alive!
OVERNIGHTER AND CARDBOARD BOAT RACES: JULY 8
The annual Overnighter will be on Saturday, July 8 to Sunday, July 9. This event is one of LPAC’s most treasured traditions and a highlight of every swim team season. LPAC swimmers get to camp out in tents on the grass next to the Los Paseos pool and stay up late swimming, dancing, playing dodge ball, and just having fun with their friends. The Penguin Regatta Cardboard Boat Races also take place during the Overnighter, so you might want to start building those boats now!
- Friday, June 30: Despicable Me 3 (9-11 age group)
- Saturday, July 1: Raft Trip (No meet)
- Monday, July 3: Golfland (ages 5-11)
- Saturday, July 8: LPAC @ Silver Creek
- Saturday, July 8: Overnighter and Cardboard Boat Races
- Saturday, July 15: Oaktree @ LPAC
- Saturday, July 15: Beach Trip (High School age group only)
- Thursday, July 20: Spirit Night
- Friday, July 21: Spaghetti Dinner
- Saturday, July 22: Champs
- Sunday, July 23: Banquet