Dear Penguins and Parents:
Thanks to all for a great swim season! Just a few end-of-season things:
- If you did not attend the Banquet, you can pick up your trophies and ribbons at Coach Scott’s house. Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time. After this week, they’ll go back into the container until next season!
- For a limited time, you can view or download the 2017 video here: LPAC-2017-Final.mp4. Thanks again to the video team for making this available to all!
- Nancy Keslin received a letter at the banquet and would like to follow up but needs more information. Please email her directly at email@example.com.
- If your kids love swimming and are sad the season is over, maybe they should give year-round swimming a try! We’re lucky to live close to several good teams that offer flexible programs and schedules. See the Year-Round Swimming page on the team website for more information. You can send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to any of the year-round swim families to discuss which program might work best for you.
Enjoy the rest of your summer…GO PENGUINS!
This is it — the last Friday reminder email of the swim season!
CHAMPS CHECK-IN: 6:40 AM
Remember: swimmers need to check in tomorrow no later than 6:40 am at the Morgan Hill Aquatic Center (16200 Condit Road). Meet entries and volunteer assignments have been posted to the website.
Please leave plenty of time to drive to Morgan Hill, park, and locate the check-in table in our designated team area. LPAC will be in the same location as last year, in the middle of the grassy area at the warmup end of the pool (see map posted to the Champs page of the website). Gates will not open until 6:15 am, so please do not arrive before then.
If your child is ill, please call or text Coach Scott at 408-613-5126.
Parents, please check in at the volunteer table and be sure to listen for announcement and shift changes. You can pick up your Snack Bar or Mr. Pickle meal tickets when you check in.
We encourage you to purchase a program, food, and t-shirts — all proceeds help our team and the league pay for Champs!
SPAGHETTI DINNER TONIGHT FOR TEENAGERS
The Spaghetti Dinner (for all swimmers ages 13-18) is tonight at the clubhouse from 6-7 pm; the cost is $8 per swimmer. Thank you to the Blacow family for coordinating this event, and to all the parents who volunteered to bring food and help out. Don’t forget to bring your cars if you want them decorated for Champs!
BANQUET ON SUNDAY
The LPAC Team Awards Banquet will be on Sunday starting at 4:30 pm. Remember to bring your own folding chairs. We look forward to getting all the penguins back together one last time to hand out trophies and celebrate another great season!
SPIRIT NIGHT THANKS
Special thanks to Judy Seps, Coach Ryan, Sergio and Heather Castro, and Carl Anderson for working together all season long to put together the great team video! If you didn’t get to see it or want to keep a copy for yourself, we’ll make a link available to download…stay tuned for more details.
Dear Penguins and Parents:
Well, guess you really can’t win them all. Oaktree handed LPAC our first and only dual meet defeat of the season, winning on Saturday by a score of 124.1 to 103.1. Now we’re looking ahead to our very last week of the season…with lots of swimming and fun packed into the next 7 days!
CONGRATULATIONS 11-12 BOYS!
The 11-12 Boys (David Jerez, CJ Taylor, Noah Taylor, and Anthony Anderson) grabbed another relay record on Saturday, going 2:17.43 in the 200Y Medley Relay and beating the old record of 2:18.05 (held by Nick Mamola, Nico Fasan, Ben Jackson, and Jason Edano). Great swimming, boys! The coaches are proud of you (even if you do keep breaking all their old records)!
This week at practice, the swimmers will be tapering (resting up for Champs) while the coaches work on very specific focus points. Please come to practice EVERY DAY if you can! Please note that night practices will only be held on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week.
Just for fun, each day has a special dress-up theme and snacks:
- Mickey and Moana Go to Mordor Monday: Come as your favorite Disney or Lord of the Rings character
- Trippy Techno Tie-Dye Teddy Bear Tuesday: Wear tie-dye and bring your favorite stuffed animal
- Wookie Wednesday: Wear Star Wars stuff and come in your best bedhead hair
- Thuperhero Thursday: Suit up as your favorite comic book hero
- Formal Friday: Dress in black and white penguin gear
BANQUET ORDER FORMS DUE TODAY!
If you haven’t already done so, please turn in your Banquet Meal Order form today at practice. Swimmers eat for free, but we still need to get a headcount on how many tacos to prepare. Additional meals are $10 for adults and $7 for kids.
SPIRIT NIGHT ON THURSDAY
The whole family is invited to come to Spirit Night on Thursday, July 20 at 7:00 pm. The swimmers will eat pizza, decorate posters for Champs, and elect the swimmer reps for next year. We’ll have fabric markers as well if you’d like to decorate your tie-dyed shirt (or any other shirt).
Meanwhile, parents will gather in the clubhouse to get important information about Champs and elect Board members. Then we’ll all gather for the end-of-the-season slide show/video and get pumped up for Champs!
SPAGHETTI DINNER ON FRIDAY
All swimmers ages 13-18 are invited to “carbo-load” with their teammates at the LPAC Spaghetti Dinner on Friday, July 21 from 6-7 pm. We also decorate cars to show our penguin pride. The cost is $8 per swimmer; please pay at the door if you haven’t already paid in advance. Parents, we do still need some volunteers to help prepare food; please sign up at SignUp Genius if you can help.
CHAMPS ON SATURDAY
The final meet of the season is the VCSL Championship Meet (or “Champs”) on Saturday, July 22, where all six teams in the league compete against each other. Swimmer check-in will be at 6:40 am at Morgan Hill Aquatic Center (16200 Condit Road, Morgan Hill). Champs can be very crowded and chaotic, and we have first shift warm-ups this year, so please be on time! The meet usually ends around 4:30 pm, so prepare for a long day.
Please note that the gates will not open until 6:15 am, so don’t plan to arrive any earlier than that. We’ll have lots more information about Champs at the Spirit Night parent meeting.
BANQUET ON SUNDAY
The Awards Banquet will be on Sunday, July 23, starting at 4:30 pm. For one last time, we’ll all get together to eat tacos, pass out trophies, say goodbye to our graduating swimmers, and celebrate another great season. Remember to bring your own chairs, EZ-ups, and blankets!
LOST AND FOUND
A black LSU Alumni folding camp chair (in a black carrying case) was lost at the meet on Saturday. If you picked it up by mistake, please return to the pool. Thank you!
Dear Penguins and Parents:
Whew, that was a close one! LPAC ended up defeating Silver Creek on Saturday by a final score of 115.5 to 113.9, so we’re 4-0 heading into our last dual meet of the season. This Saturday we’ll be swimming at home against Oaktree—who are also undefeated so far. Keep coming to practice every day so we can swim our best against the Sharks! And thanks to everyone who made the annual Overnighter a fun night for all!
WILL YOU BE HERE FOR THE MEET?
This week the coaches have to do entries for both the Oaktree meet (7/15) and Champs (7/22). If your child will have to miss any part of either meet, please send email ASAP to both the coaches and the volunteer coordinators. Remember that Champs is an all-day meet that typically lasts until around 4:00 pm.
The families we know who will be missing the Oaktree meet are: Adam, Aliamus, DeSantis, Espinoza, Hasse, Hoge, Marley, and Musoll-Buendia.
The families we know who will be missing Champs are: Adam, Espinoza, Fumagalli, Hasse, Marley, Musoll-Buendia, Wise.
Daniela Fasan shaved a little more time off her own 15-18 Girls 50 yard Breaststroke record, with a new time of :31.49. Way to go Dani!
- Banquet Meal Order forms are due on Monday (7/17). The banquet will be catered by Any Time is Taco Time. Note: Swimmers eat for free at the Banquet, but you still need to fill out a form so we know how many meals to prepare. The cost for additional meals is $10 for adults and $7 for kids.
- If you’d like to contribute to gifts for the coaches, please see Judy Seps at the meet on Saturday.
COMING UP THIS WEEK
- The Penguin Pool Party is on Wednesday (7/12) from 3:00 to 5:00 pm. Swimmers of all ages are welcome! We’ll be serving root beer floats and tie-dying shirts. The cost is $2 per swimmer. Non-Association members will also need to pay the guest entry fee at the gate ($2 for adults, $1 for kids). Please bring a white or light-colored shirt to tie-dye. We ask that parents of swimmers ages 10 and under please stay to help out.
- The Swim-a-Thon team fundraiser is on Thursday (7/13) during normal practice times. Swimmers will get to swim as many laps as they can to try and earn money for LPAC. Pledge forms are posted on the Swim-a-Thon page of the website. Parents, please sign up on the bulletin board to help as lap-counters, as the coaches need this time to work on the Champs entries.
- Saturday’s swim meet (7/15) is at home against Oaktree. Swimmer check-in time is 6:30 am.
- The Beach Trip for swimmers in the high school age group is also on Saturday (7/15). Swimmers should meet at the pool at 4:30 pm and carpool to Twin Lakes State Beach in Santa Cruz. We still need parent drivers for this trip, as the swimmers are NOT allowed to drive themselves to this event. The cost is $10 per swimmer; there is no charge for parents.