Dear Penguins and Parents:
Well, guess you really can’t win them all. Oaktree handed LPAC our first and only dual meet defeat of the season, winning on Saturday by a score of 124.1 to 103.1. Now we’re looking ahead to our very last week of the season…with lots of swimming and fun packed into the next 7 days!
CONGRATULATIONS 11-12 BOYS!
The 11-12 Boys (David Jerez, CJ Taylor, Noah Taylor, and Anthony Anderson) grabbed another relay record on Saturday, going 2:17.43 in the 200Y Medley Relay and beating the old record of 2:18.05 (held by Nick Mamola, Nico Fasan, Ben Jackson, and Jason Edano). Great swimming, boys! The coaches are proud of you (even if you do keep breaking all their old records)!
This week at practice, the swimmers will be tapering (resting up for Champs) while the coaches work on very specific focus points. Please come to practice EVERY DAY if you can! Please note that night practices will only be held on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week.
Just for fun, each day has a special dress-up theme and snacks:
- Mickey and Moana Go to Mordor Monday: Come as your favorite Disney or Lord of the Rings character
- Trippy Techno Tie-Dye Teddy Bear Tuesday: Wear tie-dye and bring your favorite stuffed animal
- Wookie Wednesday: Wear Star Wars stuff and come in your best bedhead hair
- Thuperhero Thursday: Suit up as your favorite comic book hero
- Formal Friday: Dress in black and white penguin gear
BANQUET ORDER FORMS DUE TODAY!
If you haven’t already done so, please turn in your Banquet Meal Order form today at practice. Swimmers eat for free, but we still need to get a headcount on how many tacos to prepare. Additional meals are $10 for adults and $7 for kids.
SPIRIT NIGHT ON THURSDAY
The whole family is invited to come to Spirit Night on Thursday, July 20 at 7:00 pm. The swimmers will eat pizza, decorate posters for Champs, and elect the swimmer reps for next year. We’ll have fabric markers as well if you’d like to decorate your tie-dyed shirt (or any other shirt).
Meanwhile, parents will gather in the clubhouse to get important information about Champs and elect Board members. Then we’ll all gather for the end-of-the-season slide show/video and get pumped up for Champs!
SPAGHETTI DINNER ON FRIDAY
All swimmers ages 13-18 are invited to “carbo-load” with their teammates at the LPAC Spaghetti Dinner on Friday, July 21 from 6-7 pm. We also decorate cars to show our penguin pride. The cost is $8 per swimmer; please pay at the door if you haven’t already paid in advance. Parents, we do still need some volunteers to help prepare food; please sign up at SignUp Genius if you can help.
CHAMPS ON SATURDAY
The final meet of the season is the VCSL Championship Meet (or “Champs”) on Saturday, July 22, where all six teams in the league compete against each other. Swimmer check-in will be at 6:40 am at Morgan Hill Aquatic Center (16200 Condit Road, Morgan Hill). Champs can be very crowded and chaotic, and we have first shift warm-ups this year, so please be on time! The meet usually ends around 4:30 pm, so prepare for a long day.
Please note that the gates will not open until 6:15 am, so don’t plan to arrive any earlier than that. We’ll have lots more information about Champs at the Spirit Night parent meeting.
BANQUET ON SUNDAY
The Awards Banquet will be on Sunday, July 23, starting at 4:30 pm. For one last time, we’ll all get together to eat tacos, pass out trophies, say goodbye to our graduating swimmers, and celebrate another great season. Remember to bring your own chairs, EZ-ups, and blankets!
LOST AND FOUND
A black LSU Alumni folding camp chair (in a black carrying case) was lost at the meet on Saturday. If you picked it up by mistake, please return to the pool. Thank you!
Dear Penguins and Parents:
Whew, that was a close one! LPAC ended up defeating Silver Creek on Saturday by a final score of 115.5 to 113.9, so we’re 4-0 heading into our last dual meet of the season. This Saturday we’ll be swimming at home against Oaktree—who are also undefeated so far. Keep coming to practice every day so we can swim our best against the Sharks! And thanks to everyone who made the annual Overnighter a fun night for all!
WILL YOU BE HERE FOR THE MEET?
This week the coaches have to do entries for both the Oaktree meet (7/15) and Champs (7/22). If your child will have to miss any part of either meet, please send email ASAP to both the coaches and the volunteer coordinators. Remember that Champs is an all-day meet that typically lasts until around 4:00 pm.
The families we know who will be missing the Oaktree meet are: Adam, Aliamus, DeSantis, Espinoza, Hasse, Hoge, Marley, and Musoll-Buendia.
The families we know who will be missing Champs are: Adam, Espinoza, Fumagalli, Hasse, Marley, Musoll-Buendia, Wise.
Daniela Fasan shaved a little more time off her own 15-18 Girls 50 yard Breaststroke record, with a new time of :31.49. Way to go Dani!
- Banquet Meal Order forms are due on Monday (7/17). The banquet will be catered by Any Time is Taco Time. Note: Swimmers eat for free at the Banquet, but you still need to fill out a form so we know how many meals to prepare. The cost for additional meals is $10 for adults and $7 for kids.
- If you’d like to contribute to gifts for the coaches, please see Judy Seps at the meet on Saturday.
COMING UP THIS WEEK
- The Penguin Pool Party is on Wednesday (7/12) from 3:00 to 5:00 pm. Swimmers of all ages are welcome! We’ll be serving root beer floats and tie-dying shirts. The cost is $2 per swimmer. Non-Association members will also need to pay the guest entry fee at the gate ($2 for adults, $1 for kids). Please bring a white or light-colored shirt to tie-dye. We ask that parents of swimmers ages 10 and under please stay to help out.
- The Swim-a-Thon team fundraiser is on Thursday (7/13) during normal practice times. Swimmers will get to swim as many laps as they can to try and earn money for LPAC. Pledge forms are posted on the Swim-a-Thon page of the website. Parents, please sign up on the bulletin board to help as lap-counters, as the coaches need this time to work on the Champs entries.
- Saturday’s swim meet (7/15) is at home against Oaktree. Swimmer check-in time is 6:30 am.
- The Beach Trip for swimmers in the high school age group is also on Saturday (7/15). Swimmers should meet at the pool at 4:30 pm and carpool to Twin Lakes State Beach in Santa Cruz. We still need parent drivers for this trip, as the swimmers are NOT allowed to drive themselves to this event. The cost is $10 per swimmer; there is no charge for parents.
We’ve got a lot going on in the next couple of weeks, so this will be a little longer than our usual Friday reminder email…
TOMORROW’S MEET: AT SILVER CREEK
- Swimmers need to check in with the coaches by 7:20 am. If your child is ill in the morning, please call or text Coach Scott: 408-613-5126.
- Plan to park at Silver Oak Elementary School (located just a little past the pool at 5000 Farnsworth Drive). See the Silver Creek web page for a map. Meet Entries and Volunteer Assignments are also posted on the website.
- Remember, there is not much space at Silver Creek, so please plan to share EZ-Ups and get cozy with your penguin neighbors!
- We will be swimming 8 lanes, which means the meet goes by a lot faster. Be sure your swimmers are paying attention to the announcements and get to Clerk of the Course on time. And remember to always check OUT with the coaches if you leave the meet early!
- Check-in time is 6:00 pm on Saturday (7/8); please do not start setting up tents any earlier.
- If you haven’t already turned in your forms and payment, you can do so when you check in. Be sure we have a phone number so we can reach you in case of emergency.
- Cardboard boats should be staged on the basketball courts. Parents, you are welcome to stay and watch the Penguin Regatta. We do ask that you please take home any soggy boat remains.
- 6 & under swimmers need to be picked up no later than 10:00 pm.
- For more information about what to bring, etc., check the Overnighter page.
- Please arrive before 8:00 am on Sunday morning to help your swimmers pack and also clean up the pool and lawn areas.
- We suggest you bring your checkbook when you check in at the Overnighter, so you can just write one check for everything!
- Champs Meal Order forms are due no later than Sunday morning (7/9) at 8:00 am. No late orders will be accepted.
- Banquet Meal Order forms are due on Monday, July 17. Note: Swimmers eat for free at the Banquet, but you still need to fill out a form so we know how many meals to prepare. The cost for additional meals is $10 for adults and $7 for kids.
- If you’d like to contribute to gifts for the coaches, please see Judy Seps at the meet or at the Overnighter.
COMING UP NEXT WEEK
- The Penguin Pool Party has been rescheduled to next Wednesday, July 12, from 3:00 to 5:00 pm. Swimmers of all ages are welcome! We’ll be serving root beer floats and tie-dying shirts. The cost is $2 per swimmer. Non-Association members will also need to pay the guest entry fee at the gate ($2 for adults, $1 for kids). Please bring a white or light-colored shirt to tie-dye. We ask that parents of swimmers ages 10 and under please stay to help out.
- The Swim-a-Thon team fundraiser will be on Thursday, July 13, during normal practice times. Swimmers will get to swim as many laps as they can to try and earn money for LPAC. Pledge forms are posted on the Swim-a-Thon page of the website.
- Next Saturday (7/15) will be our last dual meet of the season, at home against Oaktree. The high schoolers will have their Beach Trip that afternoon/evening. Please note that we do need parent drivers, as teenagers are not allowed to drive themselves to this event. The cost is $10 per swimmer; there is no charge for parents.
Dear Penguins and Parents:
The raft trip was quick and cold this year, but still lots of fun! Hope you all enjoy the day off tomorrow and have a happy and safe Fourth of July. We are in the homestretch now, with only three weeks left in the swim team season. Warning: it’s going to go by very fast!
AN IMPORTANT NOTE TO SWIMMERS AND PARENTS
After today, there are only 13 total practices left in the swim team season. Our team has a legitimate chance to move up at Champs this year, but to do that, we need EVERY swimmer to continue improving. And the best way to improve is to come to practice — not just 2 or 3 times a week, but every day! We know that everyone has lots of activities planned over the summer, but if we could get every swimmer to focus on LPAC for the next two and a half weeks, it would make a huge difference. Parents, please help by bringing your kids (and waking up those teenagers!) every day. We can do this!
SATURDAY’S MEET: AT SILVER CREEK
This Saturday’s meet will be at Silver Creek Valley Country Club (SCVCC). Swimmer check-in time will be 7:20 am. The families we know who will be missing all or part of the meet are: Adam, Burke, Espinoza, Fuss, Musoll-Buendia, Mamola, Pickett, and Quezada. Please notify both the coaches and volunteer coordinators ASAP if your name should be added to this list.
The Silver Creek pool has 8 lanes, which means we need extra timers and recorders…but also means the meet goes by fairly quickly! See the Silver Creek page of the website for map and additional information.
OVERNIGHTER ON SATURDAY
This Saturday evening (7/8) is the Overnighter and the Penguin Regatta Cardboard Boat Races. Drop-off starts at 6:00 pm; please do NOT start setting up tents before then, even if you are members at the pool. Please note that swimmers of all ages are welcome to attend, but only swimmers 7 and older spend the night. Parents can pick up the 6 & unders at 10:00 pm (or earlier if they get tired).
Kids who are camping out should bring a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, flashlight, warm sweatshirt, change of clothes, swim suit, towel, pajamas, toothbrush, toothpaste, snacks, and games. The high school group sleeps outside on lawn chairs.
If you build a cardboard boat, remember you can only use cardboard, duct tape or packing tape, glue, and paint. Please be prepared to take the soggy wreckage home with you; there is not enough room in the dumpster for all the shipwrecks! Bring your boats to the staging area on the basketball courts at 6:00 pm. Parents and siblings are welcome to stay and watch the boat races, which usually get started around 6:15 pm.
The cost for the Overnighter is $15 per swimmer. Please complete the form and turn in with payment to the Activities folder (or you can pay when you check in Saturday evening). Forms and additional information can be found on the Overnighter page of the website.
Campers must be picked up by 8:00 am on Sunday morning (7/9); please come before then to help your kids pack up their tents and belongings. We do still need a few more parents to sign up online and help with Sunday morning cleanup (starting at 7:00 am). The Board members and spouses who stay up all night will be tired and ready to go home by then, so your help is greatly appreciated!
We’re so proud of all our penguins who swam in the 25s to Save Lives Relay-a-Thon. So far our team has raised over $3,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society. That’s some serious Penguin Power! You can still turn in a check (made out to LPAC) or donate online: https://www.crowdrise.com/25s-to-save-lives. Thank you very much for supporting this important cause!